Monday 20 October 2014

High Care Facility.

This last weekend, I, along with Jo and Chloe (the dog) took the caravan to the far south coast for a couple of days. When I lived there to nurse my dying mother, as anyone who has done that will attest, depression was never far away. So I joined a writers group to get the feelings out. At the writers meeting on Saturday, I renewed contact with some old friends, read some of 'Cull' and sold a few copies. But in the back of my mind was this poem, probably the best I wrote while nursing Mum, after she was committed to an 'Aged high care facility'. She understood the need for the move, but to see her there day after day, waiting to die, was heart breaking and I still cannot read this poem aloud without tears.















She sits and she stares
at the door to her world
from which she came,
to this allotted space.

Beautiful mind,
cruelly spared.
Taunted though empty days
and long, long, grieving nights,
by mem’ry of lost relevance.

Craving assurance;
a human embrace,
while latex plastic hands
touch only from necessity.

This little time, a miser’s gift.
Last chance to ease her passing,
with what will not be given;
The final validation of her existence.

 Thanks Tess for your wonderful prompts . Book launch date set for 27th November but the way it is going, the print run might have been sold out by then! One reviewer said "A cross between David Suzuki and John Grisham". How about that! Now available through Amazon.

13 comments:

  1. this brought tears to my eyes also.....so lovingly tender and gentle....like your mother was ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful Stafford ... I don't know which is more cruel ~ an intact mind fully aware of diminishing existence or one unable to grasp the inevitable. (my English Springer was named Chloe!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful sentiments beautifully written

    ReplyDelete
  4. How sad to still have sharp mind, but to be losing battle with some other illness. Very touching. Hold tight to all the good memories you shared, hope that the tough ones will fade in time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too moving to reread. But I have to add my little words of appreciation. I struggle to understand why old age must be so terrible for so many. May we please be spared such awful final months or years - especially when we have no loving partner remaining who might help ease the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So very touching Staff .... Poignant ...i love mine too, as you can see on my blog. How is the book going, mate ?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Splendid response to the prompt...

    ReplyDelete
  8. This breaks my heart Stafford. I am glad that she has you to give her love and care when you can.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A sad but lovely poem, Stafford.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful and so very poignant...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stafford.

    Heart wrenching.

    I am getting your book end of the month. But how can I get a signed copy, Stafford?

    ReplyDelete
  12. beautiful and sad

    ReplyDelete
  13. *** A 'Special Delight' to Know Sweet Marjorie*** To be in a room just listening to her, or to sit and marvel her 'Exceptional Skill' as she played her 'Beloved Scrabble' was such a 'Thrill'. *** To Know Her Was To Admire and Love Her ***

    ReplyDelete

(leave a message)