Saturday 18 June 2011

End of an era.

It is with great regret I say farewell to a good and faithful servant.
Sounds like the start of a eulogy and it is.
What you see here is a 1989 model Atari Mega II computer.

This computer was the power behind twenty years of publishing and composing. It was fast and reliable and still is. Does anyone have a 22 year old PC still working? I don‘t.
Long before MS Windows, this ‘windows’ machine had the capability to handle up to seven open screens for dragging and dropping, cutting and pasting and its choice of ports was staggering.
The MIDI interface is built in, as is its many more ports to attach piano keyboards, drives, printers, phone line and more, so it was the fastest and easiest machine to use, much faster and more powerful than the Mac of its day.
A Seagate hard drive added in 1993 gave it even more punch and super fast loading of programs.
But since Atari decided to pull out of cmputer manufacturing, this remarkable machine has been starved of programs and can no longer do what I want.
So, with IXL about to move aboard with her stuff, everything not absolutely necessary must go and I cannot justify keeping my darling Atari aboard.
So, if anyone needs a vintage Atari loaded with programs that works as well as ever, you have about two weeks before she hits the recycle bin.
Boo Hoo!

7 comments:

  1. Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader called ... they want their Atari back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Recycle bin?! I think you should contact the Smithsonian first! I had no idea anyone was still using one of these. I never had an Atari, but reading your post made me think back to my Commodore 64. How I miss that machine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My oldest machine is a nine year old Toshiba laptop. It runs better than ever, since I dumped Windoze and rebuilt it with the free Linux OS, Ubuntu.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are to be commended on not tossing your venerable machine just because it wasn't cutting edge! I am sure someone will want it if the Smithsonian doesn't!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laughing at Helen's comment. LOL. Hope you don't miss your old friend too much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Attractive section of content. I just stumbled upon your website and in accession capital to assert that I get in fact enjoyed account your blog posts.
    Any way I'll be subscribing to your feeds and even I achievement you access consistently fast.

    Look into my web page ... bmi chart for women

    ReplyDelete

(leave a message)